Friday, June 17, 2011

TWO WEEKS!!!! - SHUT UP

Two weeks from today I will be on a plane on my way to Africa!!! I can’t believe it’s almost here, it seemed so far away. I am very excited but I am also very nervous. There is still lots to do - like get things ready for life while I am away (apparently credit cards, car and school loan companies don’t care that you’re away volunteering, they still want their money….the nerve!) I also have to purchase a few things before I go, like LOTS of over the counter meds and toiletries. There are no Wal-marts in Africa L so I have to be prepared! I also have to get my malaria meds in the mail – they have been shipped, now they just have to arrive, thanks express scripts for taking your sweet time with this. (insert sarcasm here.)

The good thing is I am not stressed about being able to get everything done I know it will happen and the major stuff is taken care of: flights, passport, visas, vaccinations, payment to organization, you know the important stuff.

I just need to get there and get situated, meet my host family see the town where I will be living and then I am sure I will be fine. It’s a lot of unknowns that make me nervous, but it’s the same feeling you get when moving to a new place or starting a new job so I will be fine, I tend to adjust well. I’m excited to learn about a new culture and meet lots of new people.

The other thing I have to do is upload my old ipod nano (I hope it still works.) Any song suggestions for the 11 hour plane ride? Also, any good books you might suggest…I will have LOTS of time so send ideas my way!

Till next time….. Kwaheri (goodbye in Swahili)

No comments:

Post a Comment