Monday, July 4, 2011

The Orphanage


Today I started volunteering. The first week STAESA has me helping at Good Shepherd Happy Children’s Home Orphanage in the town if Alfao, which is a 15min taxi, ride from the house. It's only about 3miles but the road is real bad so it takes a little longer to get there.

When I arrived many of the children said, "you're welcome Madame" which is there way of saying hello. I worked with Madame Ester, in the infant room with 3 babies: Prince, Princess and Agogo)

This orphanage usually doesn't have babies but they had no where else to go so they were brought here. The orphanage has 42 total kids living there and 6 children that attend school during the day but return home after lessons are done.

It was nice to be able to help Ester, as I don't think that she gets too much of a brake. I will be at this orphanage all week then I will start brick making. The organization wants me to adjust to the heat and sun before working all day outside, which I appreciate. Right now the temperature is about the same as home, with a little more humidity but the temperature doesn't drop too much at night. So for all of you who asked if it was going to be hot, yes it is but not that bad.

1 comment:

  1. I bet the babies are wicked cute. Are the kids in the orphanage healthy, or at least healthy by African standards?

    ReplyDelete