Monday, July 4, 2011

I am blessed to have Bless


Bless is my host sister she is 22 and my tour guide / guardian while I am here. She cooked for me this morning then just as we were getting ready to go to church, it started to downpour so we post-pone until the rain let up enough to walk to the taxi stop. Here when church is an all day affair and though it "starts" at 9am no one is there until 10am, and we didn't arrive until about 11am. We went to the Lighthouse Chapel International church where everyone was singing and yelling and dancing all around. Bless tried to teach me one of the dances but I'm pretty sure it looked like I was doing the chicken dance. Everyone greeted and welcomed me - when the preacher asked if there were visitors I didn't even have to raise my hand he just looked at me and asked my name. I then stayed after church while Bless had choir rehearsal and played with some of the children. I also met Aaron who works at a medical office where he treats people with infections and is working hard to bring better drinking water to the town (good person to get to know - just in case.)

After church we returned home to eat - so far I've had pasta, rice, bread, eggs, veggies -that are kind of stir fried, and fish (with bones and I think one piece on the serving dish still had it's eye- I didn't take that piece)

After dinner, Bless taught me how to de-scale and prepare fish, another thing to add to the resume.

Bless then took me down to see the beach but because of the rain we didn't stay long as the mosquitoes were starting to come out so we went to visit her brother Edward and his wife. We watched some TV (I was grateful for English, even if the programming wasn't the best.) Bless is trying to teach me the local dialect but it's hard to put together - Most people at least understand English. After Edward drove us home, Bless and I looked at the photos I brought and some from her collection. Tomorrow I meet up with Charles to go to the work site for my first day of brick making and hopefully to get a phone. With the heavy rains today Charles couldn't make it into town and most places were closed anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment